SJCE Is Our New Electricity Supplier
San José Clean Energy, or SJCE, is the City of San José’s new electricity supplier—charting our path to a greener future. We are the Community Energy department of the City of San José, dedicated to creating a more sustainable future for our community and future generations. The San José City Council unanimously voted to create SJCE in May 2017, and we began serving residents and businesses in February 2019.
With SJCE, our city will initially see about an 18 percent reduction in GHG emissions from electricity generation.
All revenues stay right here in San José. We’re “owned” by the community.
We don’t have to charge extra to generate a profit or pay dividends to shareholders, which helps keep our prices competitive and stable. Plus, we will invest in local programs, such as clean energy generation projects and building electrification, that create value for all residents here in San José.
We don’t charge extra to generate a profit or pay dividends, which keeps our prices competitive and stable
We invest in local programs, such as renewable energy generation projects and building electricification
Run by our community
- City Council meets every Tuesday at 1:30 pm in City Hall. City Council Agendas are posted one week in advance, and meetings are livestreamed.
- The Advisory Commission meets monthly in City Hall. Advisory Commission agendas are posted one week in advance.
A Proven Concept
Communities throughout California are already benefiting from their own locally controlled electricity providers: over 8 million residents and businesses have collectively saved millions of dollars and cut greenhouse gas emissions drastically. There are ten Northern California Community Choice Energy programs similar to San José Clean Energy.
- Silicon Valley Clean Energy - Serving Santa Clara County except San José
- Peninsula Clean Energy - Serving San Mateo County
- Sonoma Clean Power - Serving Sonoma and Mendocino Counties
- MCE Clean Energy - Serving Marin, Napa and Contra Costa Counties
- CleanPowerSF - Serving San Francisco
- East Bay Community Energy - Serving Alameda County
- Monterey Bay Community Power - Serving Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties
- Valley Clean Energy - Serving Yolo County
- Pioneer Community Energy - Serving Placer County
- Redwood Energy - Serving Humboldt County